Albertson Parkway

$400,000

open space authority funds contributed to project

2007

project awarded

The Authority contributed $400,000 to help the City of San Jose transform a neglected utility corridor into a recreational parkway with a meandering trail and landscaping that includes many native plants. Interpretive signage describes bio-retention swales that are part of the project and tell the story of Gary Albertson, a highway safety activist. The parkway is named in his memory.
Award Date:
December 12, 2007
Program:
20% Funding Program
Location:
Santa Teresa neighborhood

Have a similar Project?

Apply for a Grant

Enter your email address to get updates on our grant programs

Other Success
Stories

Santa Teresa County Historic Park

Santa Teresa County Historic Park

In 2002 the City of San Jose in partnership with Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation used a $900,000 grant from the Open Space Authority to purchase property to expand Santa Teresa County Park Historic Area. The 1.93-acre parcel adjoins the historic Bernal-Gulnac-Joice Ranch interpretive site and Santa Teresa Springs. The ranch buildings and surrounding 28-acre property are what remains of a nearly 10,000-acre tract granted to Jose Joaquin Bernal by the Mexican government in 1834.

South Page Ponds

South Page Ponds

In September 2007 the City of Campbell dedicated a trail development and revegetation project that offers the public a small oasis in a busy urban neighborhood. An allocation of $109,000 from the Open Space Authority helped fund trails, landscaping, and benches on the site of percolation ponds along Hacienda Avenue.

Ulistac Natural Area

Ulistac Natural Area

The Authority funded two phases of improvements for this 40-acres of open space along the Guadalupe River in Santa Clara, in 1999 and again in 2004. The projects included trail design and construction as well as removal of exotic plant species, revegetation, irrigation, and fence and gate improvements. The park now features native vegetation representing a variety of plant communities connected by a series of trails.