Open space preserves are open to the public for your enjoyment and we strongly encourage you to come prepared for the outdoors. Always remember to let others know where you’re going and when you’ll return home as cell service can be limited in the preserves. Before hitting the trail, be prepared for all types of weather conditions and carry enough water and snacks for the entire day.
July 4, 2020 NOTICE
Sierra vista parking lot will be closed starting at 3:00 pm and sierra road will be closed to traffic from 3:00 - 11:00pm. For questions regarding sierra Road closure please contact San Jose City COuncilmember DIep's office at District4@sanjose.gov.
Hear more from General Manager Andrea on how you can do your part to #LoveYourParks6ftApart
6/29/20 PUBLIC SAFETY NOTICE
Hạn chế các hoạt động tại công viên và các hoạt động ngoài trời khác để gia tăng việc giữ khoảng cách xã hội
Limitar las actividades en los parques y otras actividades al aire libre para mejorar el distanciamiento social
Due to the Santa Clara County Public Health Department’s shelter in place order, the Open Space Authority will be closing its office until further notice. Administrative staff are working from home, and all in-person docent-led and volunteer stewardship events are canceled until further notice. This is to ensure the health and safety of you and our staff during this time. To keep you connected with open space, we will be providing interactive virtual nature events
to attend from the comfort of your own home.
The Open Space Authority strongly believes that connecting people to nature and outdoor open spaces is more important than ever, as being in nature provides important personal physical and mental health benefits. At this time, our open space preserves will remain open for the public to enjoy nature in a safe and healthy manner.
During this time, we are taking extra precautions to ensure the health of preserve visitors and staff. Please observe the following rules and conditions:
- Sierra Vista will be closing at 6:00 p.m. daily.
- We have implemented one-way directions on multiple trails. Please check the conditions below for updates or download a temporary georeferenced trail map here.
- The equestrian parking lot at Coyote Valley will be closed to equestrian parking and open to regular vehicle parking, weather permitting. Equestrians should visit Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve for horseback riding.
- Every other parking space at Coyote Valley will be closed to maximize social distancing space between cars.
On the Trails
- Follow the CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to heading to trails: wash hands, carry hand sanitizer, and cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Please keep your distance from the wildlife.
- If you are feeling sick, please stay home for your own health and the health of other preserve visitors.
- When visiting preserves, keep social distancing of at least six feet between each other and staff. Practice this to know what it looks like, and keep it as you walk, bike, or hike. Do not gather in parking lots, at picnic tables, or on the trails. Staff will be patrolling preserves to direct visitors to spread out on the trails.
- Warn other trail users of your presence and as you pass to allow proper distance, and step off trails to allow others to pass, keeping recommended distances at all times. Signal your presence with your voice, bell, or horn.
- Preserve restrooms are now open. Please bring your own hand sanitizer.
- Bring a suitable trash bag. Leave no trash, and take everything out to protect preserve staff.
- Printed maps will not be available at preserves. Please download a map from our website before you go or take a picture of the map at the kiosk before you go on the trails.
Over the recent months, our preserves have been busier than ever. If you want to beat the crowds, try visiting the preserves at these times:
- Rancho Cañada del Oro - Arrive after 12:00 p.m. on weekends, or try a weekday, any time.
- Coyote Valley - Arrive between 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays and weekends. Weekdays are generally less crowded.
- Sierra Vista - Try a weekday, any time. Weekends are busy all day.