Children's Discovery Museum: Bill's Backyard

$308,765

open space authority funds contributed to project

2016

project awarded

The Authority helped fund the Children's Discovery Museum's new Bill's Backyard: Bridge to Nature project, which is a 27,500 square foot outdoor nature education center adjacent to the existing facility. This innovative space will inspire children and their families to spend time outside, exploring the wonders and joys of building, exploring, climbing, rolling, digging, and getting dirty.
Award Date:
February 24, 2016
Program:
Measure Q Urban Open Space Grant Program
Location:
180 Woz Way, San Jose CA 95110

Have a similar Project?

Apply for a Grant

Enter your email address to get updates on our grant programs

Other Success
Stories

Ulistac Natural Area

Ulistac Natural Area

The Authority funded two phases of improvements for this 40-acres of open space along the Guadalupe River in Santa Clara, in 1999 and again in 2004. The projects included trail design and construction as well as removal of exotic plant species, revegetation, irrigation, and fence and gate improvements. The park now features native vegetation representing a variety of plant communities connected by a series of trails.

Edith Morley Park

Edith Morley Park

The Authority contributed $173,021 to improvements at Edith Morley Park, a 5.5-acre site located adjacent to percolation ponds on Campbell Technology Parkway. The project provided wetland preservation, native plantings, walking paths, and benches. Edith Morley Park offers recreational amenities as well as a marsh and wetland area for exploration and environmental studies.

Santa Teresa County Historic Park

Santa Teresa County Historic Park

In 2002 the City of San Jose in partnership with Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation used a $900,000 grant from the Open Space Authority to purchase property to expand Santa Teresa County Park Historic Area. The 1.93-acre parcel adjoins the historic Bernal-Gulnac-Joice Ranch interpretive site and Santa Teresa Springs. The ranch buildings and surrounding 28-acre property are what remains of a nearly 10,000-acre tract granted to Jose Joaquin Bernal by the Mexican government in 1834.